Friday, July 1, 2011

PONDER..does light have a concept?

In my Postcolonial Class, we somehow touched upon concepts and theories. my lecturer was saying about how some things cannot be conceptualized. he gave an example of light. he asked us, "what is the concept of light."
Some nerds replied "light is the absence of darkness", which, i suppose, is what Albert Einstein said in class and got thupped for.
Well, our lecturer is way better. He took a moment to form the best way to put his point n came back on us with a closed book and said," if light is the absence of darkness, then there should be light between the pages of this book because there is definitely no space for darkness to exist between these pages!". So what we said about light (and what friend Einstein mentioned so long ago) was rubbish, n so there was no concept about light.

well, what an answer! OK, i agree, maybe light does not have a concept. but the one that my lecturer gave back with no darkness between the pages of a closed book, was a neat trick.
OBJECTION MILORD!
Well, he said darkness cannot exist between those pages because there was no space for darkness to exist. so how can light exist without space? As far as i know, the only thing that can exist in the absence of space is "spacelessness". Even for our ideas and dreams, we create an abstract or imaginary space. So my counterargument or rather a rephrasing of the Einstien statement would be that "light is something (if it can be called a thing) that occupies space in the absence of darkness.

Hey, i do not pretend to have any idea about the concept of Light. I have always been a loser in Physics. As far as i am concerned, light (tube-light, to be precise) is a 24-hour necessity in my ever-dark-without-electricity room. All i want now is, some physics-literate person to tell me what would be the answer to the title of my post, and in that process, help me to....Ponder(or stop pondering) about light.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting start..in brief a lovely read.Hilarious yet thought provocative.I have equally been a loser in physics so I would rather keep would my dangerous gyaan 2 myself..but I suggest u shouldn't stop pondering..because 2 keep pondering upon something is a good thing!!!

    ReplyDelete